Monday, August 2, 2010

My Design Career



My biggest influence and who initially set me off on my path to design was my mother. Being an artist by trade she was always encouraging my creative side and has taught me much of what I know today about art and design. As I child I was always breaking things to see what was inside, my mum was never too happy about this. I was always bringing junk home to see if I could turn it into something or try to recreate objects so that they were ‘better.’ Looking back and having recently found a huge pile of junk in my garage I definitely think the world could have done without a boomerang with kitchen knifes super glued to it or large teddy bear with a staple gun duct taped to its hand, but it created a fascination within me with everyday objects and there functions and got me asking why they were the way they were.

When I started high school was when I was first introduced and understood all the different aspects of design. This is where my passion for design was established. My two favourite subjects in high school were; Visual Arts and Design and Technology. Equally I had a passion of hate for Science and History and this was very evident in the marks I was receiving for these two subjects, as I would put extra effort into the Art and Design subjects and do the absolute minimum for the rest. As I was advancing into the later years of high school and just finished the School Certificate, it came time to choose subjects for years 11 and 12 (the HSC). I didn’t want to be doing subjects I hated, and going to an Anglican private school, this was forced upon us. I decided to change schools to further my knowledge and love for design in a more creative atmosphere and design orientated school. I started at Bradfield College were I studied Visual Design, Visual Arts, Design and Technology, Design Fundamentals and Industrial Design (multimedia). This really helped me in establishing possible career opportunities and introduced me to the design industry. I believe the reason I did well enough to get into this course is because I liked the subjects I was doing at school and actually put in the extra hours not only for the marks, but for my own personal satisfaction. To truly achieve something great you have to challenge yourself, you get out as much as you put in.

Ever since I started doing Art and Design subjects I knew that’s the career path I wanted to follow. My dad always said never do anything you don’t love doing, which I found hard to comprehend as he is a financial lawyer, although he is very passionate about his work. I have a love for the arts and appreciate its many forms, thus why I want to pursue a career in the design field. I say design field because I haven’t thought into too much depth or created an endless obsession in just one field. So I am keeping it general at this moment in time and would be incredibly happy to secure a job designing anything.

3 comments:

  1. You sound very determined to follow a design-orientated career. The opportunity for you to attend a design college must have been right up your alley, and given you a real insight into the world of design. It is great that you are so enthusiastic about design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice to see your design path started when you are young, it is like you are born to be a designer, i think design is the right path for you, because you have been living around design world for your whole life, nice to see you are happy with design, all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem determined to follow a career in design which is good. You've grown up with it your whole life so you would subconsciously know a lot more about design than you think.To this point, everything you'v done has been design related.

    ReplyDelete